Thursday 28 January 2010

And I've never felt so alive!

I'm going to steer away from the caps lock button to express how I am in the best mood ever.
Seriously, I am.
I may use the term "best day ever" a fair old bit, but I can get enthusiastic and then exaggerate.
In the past twenty-four hours I have had two of the most exciting highs of my life. The only other day I can compare such excitement to is the day I went to see the Goo Goo Dolls. I was on a biology field trip which made everything more fun and then in the evening I went to see them. And even then, I am far more excited right now about my life.
Whatever for?
Patience, all stories have a beginning and this one begins last night.
We all went out as a family to have a curry. The curry itself was nothing special but I appear to be free of heartburn despite all that spice and lager, but that is just a tiny bit of good fortune, this is not what has me on a high.
So there we all were eating our curry and talking. The subject of university was brought up. It's not a topic I enjoy because I have heard everything at least a thousand times from everyone and so because of that I find it really hard to listen and my mind starts to wander. This talk yielded nothing new.
Same things being said.
"You're really clever, Dan. It would be a real shame."
"I know you'll make something of yourself, make lots of money because that's the person who you are."
I hate when people say this.
I am not clever. I'm nothing special at all. I'm not thick but I am not at all clever.
I had good GCSE grades, but what does that matter, they are piss easy.
My A-levels were nothing special as I did do pretty much shit all in year thirteen.
I'm just an average person who has a habit of losing effort in things.
I can pick up things easy enough, and remember plenty of things so I can write a page all about the lymphatic system but having a good memory for things doesn't mean I am clever.

And I am not being modest here, I am just not as clever as people like to think I am. Even if I was, I don't care enough to ever do something about it.
Then the money thing. Money is not something I covet. Sure I'd love to be rich so I could just do what I want, when I want but I don't want money for it's value, if you follow my ramblings.
Only one person has ever noticed that about me and it was one of those lovely shocks in life. It was my old chemistry teacher. She was one of the worse when it came to talking about university, she'd tell me to go and I'd say I hate her. A good relationship.
However she was the only one to see how I am not money minded.
Anyway, I'm starting to get off topic here. So we were eating curry, talking about university amongst other things. So when I got home I thought I should have another look.
I didn't search on UCAS as anyone who has used it knows how godawful it is. I just googled things I liked and put course on the end.
Design - Media Make-up. It's one I never found on UCAS, but I wasn't one for looking hard. There was one at Bolton but that didn't strike me as a place I would like to spend two years. Plus it's only a foundation so I don't know what that does to loans and grants.
Now listen to this:
Pathway two Subjects covered include: -Body art - Hair design - Special effects make-up - Casting and mould making.
Awesome!
Special effects is something I have been thinking about for some time now, but I never made a decision. Now though, I'm just going to nail it down and go follow that for a few years and see where I end up.
Reading about this got me incredibly excited.
But with every high, there's a drop.
I was hit it the stomach by all the things that stood in my way. I have good grades to apply, however nothing in creative subjects. I'm slowly scraping together a portfolio but with this coming along is going to speed that up. But will that be enough? Or would I have to go do a art foundation or something like that? What if I can't get on one of those? Then if I do, will it be this year or next year? If it's next year then I would be 21 when I would be back for the other course and would I then be a mature student?
But I'd be coming off the tail end of education so I wouldn't be returning to education when I was 21, would I?
Past Dan, you prick! Why did you do science, fucking cock. Would it of been so hard to of done art, really?
You don't need to answer my questions, I'm going to ring the college and ask them everything. I don't worry often, but when I do I worry big time. This is one of those times.
I don't need to worry. I bet I could get on the course with one picture and an awesome personal statement. I like to think I can write awesome personal statements because I sent my CV to just one job vacancy, and got that job.
Told you, I'm a bastard. Most things just seem to work out for me.
With all this running through my mind last night I couldn't get to sleep for ages. I was doing my special of day dreaming. About being on some awesome course, meeting loads of interesting people. Pretending to be interested at art exhibitions but then going to see a film. Going out in the city, making a band, playing seedy little venues. Sleeping on the train covered in paint and make-up. Doing make-up for some hot girl who is then so bold to as ask me out.
Good times.
And I am sure I will make them all happen. I just need to get on with loads of things right now.


Those of you with a good memory will remember I said I was feeling amazing because of two things. I have covered one, so here is the second.
This morning I was on the internet in bed, nothing new.
"Oh look, Third Eye Blind have a post... now way... no fucking way... European tour!!!"
I click the link.
Look down the small number of dates, and there it is. At the bottom.
Thursday the 13th of May.
London.
I literally have never been this excited in my entire life. Today is not the best day of my life, but today is when I found out when the best day of my life will be.
I'm sure you all know how much this means to me because anyone who has ever been near me knows how much I love Third Eye Blind and how they are the number one band I need to see.
There is no better way to wake up than with getting the best news like that.
I love my life, it's the best life in the world!
But like I said, what goes up must come down.
I got scared, and I am still very scared.
Third Eye Blind are not at all big over here, but they do have a big fan base and they are playing just one date in the whole of the UK after not being to Europe since the '90s, I think. What I don't get a ticket?
If I don't, I will cry like I have never cried before. Then I will spend £100 on Ebay for a fake ticket and cry some more. Then go to London and sit outside the venue and cry, cry, cry.
The tickets also go on sale to the public tomorrow at 9.00am. Right in the middle of my shift at work so I will not be at a computer screen until about 10.30am. That's an hour and a half, they could all be gone!
I have already sent the information to my sister who will no doubt be coming with me. If I have not heard from her later I will ring her and see if she can get the tickets, or if maybe Seb could. Maybe Seb will want to come, or Tom. There are beacons of hope around the country who might be able to get the tickets.
And they must be bought, I must be there. Seeing Third Eye Blind is one of the highest things on my really-need-to-do-before-I-die list.
And I also have this image in my head of Bev and myself driving to London on a warm May day. Windows down, Third Eye Blind playing as loud as it can and us singing all the way there.
I really can't tell you how excited I am. But I am also shit scared. I never wanted something so badly and if I miss this it will be the biggest heartbreak known to man. Ever.

And that is that. The two huge things with huge possible downsides.
Even with that, I am still the most excited I have ever been. Trying to get to sleep on Christmas Eve as a child doesn't even come near to this moment here.
I have no idea how I will sleep tonight and I have to up at 5.00am tomorrow.
But if I get a ticket to that show, I will be riding this high all the way to May and sleep will not be an issue at all.

Even that gives me shivers. Death is actually a really issue if I get a ticket.
If I can see Stephan Jenkins only feet away I think I might actually die.

No comments:

Post a Comment