Tuesday 26 January 2010

Is that a blessing in disguise?


What better way to start the day than with some NFL.
I love how grand it is. Huge fans infatuated by it all, massive and colourful stadiums. And cheerleaders!
It's why I love a lot of American things, they never do anything half arsed, it's always full on and larger than life.
I watched the playoff highlights because it's almost Super Bowl Sunday. I've seen enough of it to understand the rules. I get all your 1st & 10, 1st & 6 and if you don't convert a 4th down into a 1st then you lose possession.
There's a lot more I still don't get, but I have the basics down which makes it possible to watch it, and it sure is exciting to watch.
I have no preference with teams because as I am not American I feel no loyalty to a particular team. Unlike NHL, that's all about the Ducks and that is Disney's fault for making that awesome cartoon.
But yeah, I have no set preference for football, it's just fun to watch.
Saying this though, neither of the two teams I wanted to win the playoffs won. I wanted the Vikings to win because their quarterback, Favre, had come out of retirement at the age of 40 to take them to the Super Bowl. They were so close and took the game to over time but were eventually beaten by a Saints field goal.
The other game I wanted the Jets to win because they were against the Colts. A real David versus Goliath game. For the first quarter the underdogs were doing really well, only for them to be inevitably beaten.

I want the Saints to win the Super Bowl as they have never got that far before, whereas the Colts won it only four seasons ago. Now I just need some beer, crisps, dips and male friends to make Super Bowl Sunday amazing. Chances are though I will just get drunk and fat on my own in the middle of the night.
Look at me, talking about sport. Just like a real man.
And another reason why American sport is so much more better, one of the commentators said something along the lines of: "it's like inviting some guy you don't really like to your party, and him going off with your girlfriend."
It was to do with the Saints giving away the perfect season to put them in a better position for winning the season.
It's a hilarious simile, and just another example of how they make everything larger than life and far more enjoyable.
No British commentator would say such a thing, they're too boring and, well... British.

Enough of that for now.
Erm, what else do you not care to hear about?
I no longer miss doing my journal anymore. It was kinda like a pet, something you had to do but might not of enjoyed so much and then when they die you're free. Maybe I am using this as a substitute, but I doubt that because if that were true then you would be a very poor substitute. I mean a really, really, really shit one.
And speaking of pets, I have been listening to Third Eye Blind more of late (the connection will make it's self clear soon). I have been neglecting them recently even when they were once my favourite band. Everyone knew it too, I'd go on about them all the time and more so when I was drunk. I don't do that emotional drunk stuff, I just throw my musical taste upon people.

So the the pet connection. I've been wanting to watch A Knight's Tale but I can't as my dvd is still in some Center Parcs dvd player. The soundtrack for that film is a very good one and my aunt bought it and copied it for me because I was in a low point in my childhood years. It was November 2002 and both my hamster and dog had died so receiving this cd was definitely a pick me up. Among the great songs on this cd there was a particular one I took a shine for. Eye Conquerer by Third Eye Blind.
This song remained one of my top played one for a fair few years. My sister would tell me I should get more Third Eye Blind and I always intended to but I would often forget. Until finally in January 2008. It was the weekend and I was having a shower while the radio played loudly in my room. When I came back into my room a familiar song was playing, I remembered hearing it as a child but couldn't remember anymore about it other than it was good. Then Helen Mason said it was Third Eye Blind with Semi Charmed Life. That moment there made me go and get their albums, and what a brilliant decision that was.
I like to think about all the tiny little things that lead me to find one of my favourite bands.
Ignoring all the things before they were a band, otherwise we'd be here for a long time.
There is them writing Semi Charmed Life and it becoming a smash hit of '97. There is the radio stations playing this and implanting it into my head ready for the future. There is my sister being at the right age to notice music and fall in love with Third Eye Blind. There is my mother meeting Paul which brings me into contact with Bev. And with Paul there also comes the decision to have a radio station. Then there are my pets dying and me receiving a cd. There is the filmmakers deciding to have Third Eye Blind on that cd. There is me liking that. Then there is us getting a radio station and not the other company. There is Paul letting us choose songs to put on the radio playlist. There is Bev choosing Third Eye Blind. Then there is me being in the right place at the right time to hear that song. Then there is Helen naming the track, because otherwise I probably would of never looked into it.
That there is a lot of little things coming together to have a big effect on my life. This is why I love the complexity of life and how every little thing interacts with everything around it. One simple difference in choosing yes over no can lead to a huge difference if you had chosen no over yes.
This is why I cannot believe in fate. The idea that my free will is nothing more than a story that's already been written, that's a terrifying thought.

And on lighter note, the tv just said thirty tonne semi. I giggled like a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment