Sunday 7 February 2010

Happy Super Bowl Sunday, y'all!

It's not on that late either so I will be staying up to watch it. Giant bottle of Stella is in the fridge ready and I am sure I can cook up some food.
As you know I want the Saints to win and so does that guy on the radio. I fell asleep listening to the radio again and it's nice to wake up to it. It's just there to bring you into the day.

My college application form came yesterday and it's one of the easiest forms I have ever seen. The closest thing to a personal statement in it is five lines to fill about what you want to do after the course. I just forgot about the huge differences between college and university so it is all coming as a very happy surprise.
I really have seen many harder application forms. The Woolworths one for instance was huge and you had to write loads about why you want to work there and what you could bring to the company. I didn't even fill that form it because it was too big. But now look, Woolworths is no more. Looks like I was the winner all along.

I'm glad I don't go to church because I really like doing nothing on a Sunday. And today I sure did nothing, well nothing too straining. Because we now have a new computer I decided the best thing to do would be to play some Half Life 2 that wouldn't freeze at every auto save. And I was right, it was the best thing to do with my morning.
This was followed by Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses.
It wasn't the best of films but it did have the odd good bit of acting, or a good shot or something else pretty and clever but none of these were redeeming factors. It was set in the 70's and I guess it was some sort of ode to 70's horror as most the film drew parallels to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I found the first half of the film was trying too hard to look like it was from the 70's and it just made everything unbelievable and the whole feel of the film was like some shitty made-for-tv film. Yet by the second half the push for that 70's feel seemed to stop which made everything flow better and it did make it feel like it would belong in a cinema in 1976.
It started as a simple slasher but by the end it was in the realms of sci-fi/fantasy. Maybe that conversation at the beginning was a foreshadowing when that kid said he liked sci-fi more than westerns.
If only the first had been less wooden and the ending had been toned down a little and if that woman didn't have such and annoying laugh it would of been a satisfactory film.
As I said, it had a few moments of good filmmaking and more so nearer the end so I would hazard a guess that it was filmed mainly chronologically.
Then Rob Zombie must of got really good when making The Devil's Rejects because that was a great film. It's the sequel to House of 1000 Corpses but thankfully it leaves behind the fantasy element because what made it a great film was the sadistic and deranged characters. I particularly liked the way Zombie used music in The Devil's Rejects as it really made us see the world through their eyes.
And the sequel had a complete recast apart from the one good actor from the first film. That was another shame about the first one, their was one really good character but he was surrounded by terrible actors and filming.
Are you asking me why I watched it all if I didn't like it?
Because.
Because I started it and I had to finish it. It takes a spectacularly shit film for me to turn it off before the end. And it was a horror film. The more horror films I watch, the better I will feel on my deathbed about the life I lived.
And then because I like to talk about them like this. I could be a horror film critic like that guy with long hair and a mustache. You know the one - well you probably don't (I sometimes wonder why I bother with you).
Despite all it's faults, this film got me thinking. Got me thinking that I could create an amazing ghost train. The term ghost train wouldn't do justice on how amazing mine would be.
Then I thought I should have a horror theme park, and the gift shop would be like a mall with zombies walking around. I wont pay them much, I'll save money by getting most my actors as they come out of doing some drama degree while they are all fresh faced and willing to work cheap. My cheap little whores.
I'll be living the dream.
Mark my words, 25 years from now the Disney parks will have serious competition on their hands.

I am very nearly done with drawing every single bone in the body, just the arms to do now.
After they are done I shall reward myself by allowing myself to do something fun and colourful.
And soon I will have the house to myself for a week so apart from the obvious house party that will occur I can get loads of done. All I need is some big paper.
Isn't life wonderful?
Mine certainly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment